Whats Happening

Confession 30 minutes before 

Weekend Mass and by 

appointment.  Confessions will

also be on the 1st Thursday of

the month before daily Mass.

 

Thank you to the men who

did the trimming around the

church.  Lee Seivert,

Terry Gregg, Brian Watterson,

Ed Strouth Dale Wolter and

Ben  Butler.

 

 

For news from the Vatican, 

please visit News.va/en or 

click to be redirected to 

their website.

   

  

 Free Daily Readings

 

  

Need to find Mass times 

when traveling, check out

catholicmasstime.org

  

  

  

  

 

  

Upcoming Events

St. Joesph's School

 

The story of St. Joseph's School begins in 1889 when Father James McCormack, the first residing pastor of Our Lady of Perpetual Help Parish, gathered $3200.00 from his little flock and built the fist school.

In the fall of 1889 three Sisters of St. Francis, namely Sisters Othilia, Catherine and Humiliana, arrived from Dubuque. Classes started with an enrollment of thirty-five pupils.

 

Father J. P. Hoffman was appointed pastor in 1890 and in that same year a new church was built. The old building became St. Mary's Hall, the site of many, many school programs and parish activities for the next forty-nine years.

 

Less than two years later, in 1898, the enrollment had outrown the original small school and a modern, two-story, four-room frame building was erected. The original school was then remodeled into a home for Father Hoffman. This served as the parish rectory until 1975 when it was dismantled to make way for the fine new structure you now see.

 

In 1904 the high school grades were added and in 1905 St. Joseph's graduated two students. By 1977 the enrollment for the entire school had reached 162.

 

Through the efforts of the new pator, Father E. J. Neppl and of Sister Mary Reginald, principal, the four-year program was begun and in 1925 a class of nine graduated. That year St. Joseph's High School had become state accredited.

 

By 1934 there were 262 pupils in the system and the old building was bursting at the seams, even though a "bungelow" had been built on the south part of the property. This bungelow housed the seventh and eighth grades. Typing classes were conducted in the upstairs hall, debate and speech practices were held in the attic and at times, spelling classes were held int he downstairs hall.

 

This situation prevailed until February, 1939, when the classes were moved to the new building. The dedication of the new school building was held on September 27, 1939 with Bishop Edmund Heelan presiding. A class of thirty-six students were confirmed on that day also.

 

Another highlight of the years came in 1953 when after many years of living in their tiny convent, the Sisters moved across the street into a fine new home located directly west of the school. It was a roomy two-story brick building. It was a joyful day for the Sisters.

As the time went on the effects of small families and larger farms resulted in fewer families within the parish. This decreased the enrollment and in 1967, St. Joseph's High School graduated its last class consisting of only seven students.

 

Grades one through eight continued un til 1969, at which time grades five through eight were transferred to St. Patrick's School at Sheldon. This was the result of receiving word that in June, 1970, the Sisters of St. Francis would be withdrawn from Ashton. This was indeed a sad day for both the parish and the Sisters who had served the community so well for 81 years.

©Copyright St. Andrew & St. Mary Parishes | Terms of Use & Privacy Policy

Website Development & Hosting by Cybrac.com